Finally I managed to make time and bake this Gugelhupf I have been wanting to try out since spring but was waiting for the right moment. Since figs are now in season and all.
Yeah kinda not true but it was a good timing since are cheap and abundant now.
I stumbled upon this recipe from the magazine Sweet Paul and knew I had to try it out.
The cake is super moist, soft and delicious! Sadly I cannot taste any hint of amaretto
put poured myself some raspberry amaretto drink instead.
The cinnamon gives it a nice spice but I wished I had put more of it since the taste of the fig and cinnamon make this cake very seasonal and in the mood for autumn.
And yes I forgot to add the powdered sugar for decorations but I am still so proud of my first Gugelhupf which turned out really nice that I think it does not really need that ;) The surface does not look perfect because I did not wait for the Gugelhupf to cool down completely but appearance does not matter that much to me if the food is delicious anyways!
Recipe for Amaretto Fig Gugelhupf:
In German on page 57: http://issuu.com/falkemediaek/docs/sweetpaul_01-2013
– 450g dried figs (if you use fresh figs the cooking time is much faster, I had a mix between fresh and dried figs though since the recipe is all about the flavour of dried figs)
– 120 ml Amaretto
– 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
– 300g brown sugar
– 240 ml cooking oil
– 3 Eggs L
– 360g Flour
– 2 Tsp Baking flour
– 1/2 Tsp Salt
– 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
– 1/2 Tsp powdered Ginger
– 1/4 cardamom
– 130g roasted and chopped Walnuts
– powdered sugar for coating
1) Preheat the oven at 175° degrees. 2) Cook the figs in the water on medium heat until they are soft.
3) Purèe with the Amaretto and Vanilla extract. 4) Combine sugar, oil and eggs in a bowl and blend. 5) Add the fig mixture and blend again.
6) Add the flour, baking powder, salt, spices and walnuts to the mixture. 7) Put the dough in an already buttered and floured Gugelhupf shape.
8) Bake it for approx. an hour. Test it with a chopstick if it is done. 9) Let it cool and then let the cake unmold, finally putting the powdered sugar on top and you are finished to enjoy this delicious Gugelhupf!